Meteorological Centre, Lucknow was established in 29th November'1972. Prior to this, only RS/RW Unit was running in private building at Krishna Nagar, Kanpur Road, Lucknow. On 28 December'2011 Doppler Weather RADAR was also installed in new building near Met Centre Lucknow.
This centre rendering the meteorological services to the general public of the state of Uttar Pradesh and concerned departments of Central and State Governments like Agriculture, Irrigation, Power, Flood Control, Relief and Rehabilitation, Roadways and Railways etc. Also supplies the different types of Meteorological data and aviation services to Govt. and private parties on payment basis. These data are used by Farmers, Scientists for research purpose, Central Flood Forecasting Division of Central Water Commission, Air Force personnel, all airlines and General public, News Papers, All India Radio, TV Channels and other media persons.
There are three Airport Meteorological Offices situated in Uttar Pradesh -
i) Chaudhary Charan Singh Airport at Lucknow.
ii) Babatpur Airport at Varanasi.
iii) Fursatganj Airport at Raebareli.
This Meteorological Centre deals with all forecasts related to whole Uttar Pradesh. This centre also inspects the departmental as well as non departmental observatories situated in UP along with Rain gauge Stations under different schemes ( like DRMS, HMO and FMO) of India Meteorological Department.
To take meteorological observations and to provide current and past meteorological information, current weather and weather forecasts on various temporal and spatial scale for optimization of resources of weather-sensitive activities like agriculture, irrigation, aviation, power plants, planning, industrial operations, tourism, disaster management and other activities.
1. Establishing, operating and maintaining a network of manual / automatic weather stations including synoptic, upper atmosphere-, radar, radiation, climatological, agro meteorological observations.
2. To record meteorological observations (surface, radar, radiation and upper atmosphere) of the Uttar Pradesh state on different temporal and spatial scale through the manned and unmanned observatories and also to provide the current weather observations of all airports of the state.
3. To provide now-cast, short range and medium range weather forecasts and other information to the users for aviation and non aviation purpose.
4. To communicate the current and past meteorological information , forecast products and warnings to the public, aviation, industry, agriculture, tourism sector, Railways, defense forces, Uttar Pradesh Government and its concerned bodies etc.
5. To warn the public and disaster management authorities if the state Government against severe weather phenomena like dust storms, heavy rains, frost, thunder squall , cold and heat waves, etc., which cause destruction of life and property, effect social-economic activities and agriculture operations etc.
6. To provide the QPF forecast of the catchments areas and formulate/disseminate a Hydromet Bulletin, Daily Rainfall Data and Flood Situation to concerned agencies like concerned State Government authorities, CWC, Flood Control Room, Defense, Railways etc during monsoon season in the state of Uttar Pradesh.
7. Establishing, operating and maintaining a data bank of basic meteorological data and to provide climatological data and information required for agriculture, water resource management, industries, oil exploration, insurance covers, Research and other nation-building activities.
8. Conducting applied meteorological research to advance scientific understanding of weather and climate.
9. Organise basic Training in meteorology to the school / college going students of Lucknow and neighborhood.
10. Quarterly / Annual / five year inspection of all the departmental / non departmental observatories, AWS/ARG and manual rain gauge stations in state to maintain the quality of meteorological observations.